Well, I have managed to snag another temporary job. This one is where I was working before my position was eliminated. It is weird working somewhere that laid you off. They don't give me benefits, but I get paid more than I did originally and the job may last into summer sometime. I am removing staples and running the copier in preparation for documents in personnel files to be scanned.
In short, I have been moved from third rate paper pusher to second rater paper pusher. I wonder if the Doctor started out this way.... 51% on the second try from the academy. He probably got bored and flipped out one day and heigh-ho got exiled! Maybe the Master started out this way. That's probably why he became the Master. Being evil was far more interesting than shoveling papers all day.
It is really not all that bad. You get to see the interesting and embarrassing things that get put in people's files. Although I got in trouble today for being too interested. It really gets exciting when the copier gets jammed. And I get to surf the internet (as much as their heavy duty filter allows) when I am working alone, which happens a couple days a week. The best part is, being a temp, I don't have to follow the dress code or go to chapel.
Well, I turned a year older a few weeks ago. I keep looking in the mirror and reminding myself I am now 25. I am so old! Not grown up, just old. People still do not take me seriously. I supposed I could act my age. But again, what's the point of being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes? I do not really feel older, more world weary some days, but not older.
It seems everyone that I studied history with in school is doing something related to their field.....except me. Charles is working at the library (sissy! Can't handle more than a part time job.) Hannah is working with some sort of archives in Texas. Joanna is working in the archives where we all went to school. Peter works at Williamsburg, Va. But then there's me....the paper pusher. I think I missed my boat.
I still can't fathom sometimes the freedom I feel not struggling with unrequited love. I have not felt so light in ages!
Wednesday, March 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Not having benefits must be frightening. Not that I want you to dwell on it too much, but I count myself extremely lucky to be covered under my parents until I'm 25 (that is, if I stay in school)... Speaking of which,
ReplyDeleteHAPPY BIRTHDAY!
I had no idea. *shame*
Indeed -- bon anniversaire (French -- I AM Canadian, after all). Happy Birthday, though I see it is some time ago now. Thanks for the comment on my blog -- now I am reciprocating (but don't tell anyone...) Your writing reminds me of "Wiggle's", too. I can see why you and she are friends
ReplyDeleteTake it from me, acting your age is over-rated. There are some who would say it would be an improvement were I to act *your* age, let alone my own! :-) Among them might even be our dear Wiggle!
Thanks for taking the time to look up my humble efforts...I take comfort in knowing I am not the oldest blogger out there. A friend of mine is in his 60s, and he blogs. (So maybe I am *second* oldest...) Ciao