Saturday, April 18, 2009

I had a rough time getting to work a few mornings ago. I was trying to get dressed when I realized that elastic in the skirt I had put on was all stretched out and the skirt was practically around my knees! I quickly tied it up with a belt (I know, dork city. A nerd's gotta do what a nerd's gotta do), and put on my cardigan. Great....but then I saw that my sweater had a hole in it! And not one that could be easily hidden. Wonderful! I was already running late so I had to quickly grab another skirt and cardigan. I'm surprised that I actually got out the door that morning.


In my always (un)exciting paper-pushing temporary job, I do run into some good things. Last month I came across a newspaper article. I do not remember the name of the family or the names of their children, all I remember is their baby's name, Maggie.

Maggie was born with no eyes, webbed toes, no thumbs, a hole in her heart, two fused ribs on one side and three on the other, and a few fused vertebrae. I saw her picture, despite all of that, she was a beautiful baby! She did have eyelids so it just looked like she was asleep all the time. When she was born, the doctors did not expect her to live. By the time this article was printed, she had already lived a few months. Her older brother (who was about 5 at the time) had observed that if his little sister died, she would go to heaven and have fingers and eyes and everything.

A letter written a few months after the article mentioned that Maggie, finally had left this world. She had lived for maybe a little less than a year. I then felt my own eyes fill, thinking about how this precious little one was far more fortunate than myself, or any person that I envy. The first thing Maggie ever saw with her eyes was the face of God...........

2 comments:

  1. What a story -- you are right! Maggie will be whole, with joy she would not have known in this life. Thanks for sharing this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooooh I hate mornings like that. Hopefully the rest of your day was much nicer seeing as it had such a tough start!

    ReplyDelete